Askerswell is a typical small Dorset village situated at the foot of the great Iron Age hill fort of Eggardon. Made up of a mixture of old stone cottages, farm buildings and a number of modern bungalows, it offers peace and quiet in some of Dorset's most beautiful countryside.

Askerswell appears as Oscherwille in the Domesday Book of 1086, then as Oskereswell in 1201, meaning 'spring or stream of a man called Osgar' from an Old English personal name and wella. In later times this name has obviously come to be understood as 'stream called Asker' through folk etymology.

When Isaac Gulliver, the King of the Smugglers, expanded his empire to the western end of the Chesil Beach, he bought North Eggardon Farm at Askerswell, and his Poole associate John Fryer named a boat, Eggardon Castle, for its hill-fort upon which Gulliver planted a clump of pines as a seamark.

The tower of St. Michael's church is 15th century, but the rest was rebuilt in 1858, and the fittings are all from that period with the exception of a fine 12th century font and a stone from around 1320 which originally held a brass.

Opposite the church is the village pound, an oval masonry enclosure used to 'pound' straying animals, whose owners had to pay a fine to get them back.

Back
Monitor page
for changes
    
   it's private   

by ChangeDetection

2000 The Dorset Page