The interest stirred by this strange name is soon dampened, because - to the Saxons over ten centuries ago - it simply meant the hill by the cold stream. The Normanís built the little battlemented church on a mound, but it seems deserted by the village and only a few cottages remain.

The lane to the church is narrow and overgrown, but R.K. Palmer, in Whatís In A Name, pens some amusing observations on the iceade-welli (cold stream), part of the village name.

Did the warriors complain that the cold water gave them stomach ache, or was it the womenfolk who grumbled on wash day? he asks.

It is thought that once it was two villages, later joined, because in 1286 the place was known as Belle and Chaldwell.

Back
Monitor page
for changes
    
   it's private   

by ChangeDetection

©2000 The Dorset Page