The sad little hamlet of Bincombe nestles close to the great Ridgeway Hill like a kitten cuddling close to its sleeping mother. Bincombe Barrow, high above, overlooks Weymouth Bay and Portland beyond. In Napoleonic times it was the site of a military camp, but fighting men looked out from this point a thousand years before.

In the 1930s, when the British Home Fleet comprising several capital ships, aircraft carriers, cruisers, destroyers and submarines, assembled in Weymouth Bay - it was a vantage point to watch exciting searchlight displays. White beams weaving in the darkened sky, silhouetting the shadowed ships as they produced the set patterns of light. A spectacle that will never be seen again.

The village comprises mainly of farms, one of which embraces the mainly medieval church. The rounded chancel arch is Norman and the church door is dated 1799, but the east wall and most of the fittings date from the restoration of the building in 1862.

Bincombe had all its livestock wiped out by an outbreak of foot and mouth disease in the mid-1930s but the village had its finest hour in a Christmas Day broadcast, during those pre-television days when on the 25th December everyone gathered around wireless sets, to be conducted on a world tour on the holy day. Shortly before the Kingís speech, Ralph Wightman - Dorsetís famous dialect broadcaster - against a background of the church organ music, described the simple village scene as farmer and farmhands and their families, in Sunday best, filed into the little village church to remember the birth of a Savior. Suddenly the whole world was aware of little Bincombe, beside a hill, in Dorset.

Back
Monitor page
for changes
    
   it's private   

by ChangeDetection

©2000 The Dorset Page