Fire Memorial,  Blandford (1760).Blandford is one of the best preserved Georgian towns in England, Blandford Forum (to use its full name) was largely rebuilt in 1731 after the Great Fire, which destroyed most of the town and parts of the village of Blandford St. Mary. Rebuilding took place over a period of about 50 years.

The Church of St. Peter and St. Paul, Blandford ForumThe splendid market place is much as it has been for over two hundred years. Rebuilt in the Georgian style after the fire, the Church of St. Peter and St. Paul, built in 1739, is reputed to be one of the finest churches of the period. 'The Old House', in The Close, built before the fire of 1731 is one of the oldest buildings in the town.

Off East Street you will find Nightingales Court, the front of the Court has some of the few buildings which pre-date the Fire

The town rests on the banks of the River Stour, and hosts the Royal Signals Museum at Blandford Army Camp, tracing the history of military communications. Each September, the week long Great Dorset Steam Fair, the largest gathering of steam tractors and stationary engines anywhere in the world takes place nearby.

Market on Thursdays and Saturdays

 

Back
Monitor page
for changes
    
   it's private   

by ChangeDetection

2000 The Dorset Page