Bloxworth lies in an undulating wooded area of East Dorset and consists of a few brick cottages and houses amongst modern development. The previously simple church of St. Andrew was rebuilt in 1870 with an over-elaborate, and wildly out of place chancel, typical of the Victorian attititude which equated elaborateness with holiness.

The Rev. Octavius Pickard-Cambridge, who was responsible for the 19th century rebuilding, was rector of Bloxworth from 1868 to his death in 1917. He is remember as a great authority on spiders, having named more than 800 new species and for publishing the book, 'Spiders of Dorset'

Bloxworth House is a fine early 17th century brick house which is occasionally open to the public. It was one of the Dorset homes of the Strode family, whose 17th century coat of arms can be found painted on the Strode pew in the village church.

Back
Monitor page
for changes
    
   it's private   

by ChangeDetection

2000 The Dorset Page