Despite being located so close to the town of Bridport, Bothenhampton, unlike Allington to the west, was a separate village. Modern expansion has rather spoilt the original villages charm, and even the old village street now seems austere and somewhat messy. Today the most interesting feature of this village is that it has two churches.

At the east end of the village are the redundant remains of the original parish church of the Holy Trinity. Today they consist of the original 15th century tower and 14th century chancel which were beautifully restored in 1974 and are now maintained by the Redundant Churches Fund. Inside you will find a lovely oak reredos and a complete sanctuary. Dating from the 18th century it has a grey an white marble floor, altar rails and dado.

Unlike most villages in the Victorian era who embarked on wholesale restorations of their parish churches, the inhabitants of Bothenhampton decided to commission a brand new church. Built in 1887, the new church was designed by the well-known Arts and Crafts architect, E.S. Prior, who used huge arches like those at his better known church at Roker in County Durham, built some 15 years later.

From the outside, the church looks simple with no bell tower, just a little bell-cote. Inside however it is simply amazing. The nave has four stupendous parabolic stone arches rising from the floor almost to the ceiling, like huge wooden crutches. The whole interior uses local materials in a simple, well designed way, (with the possible exception of the 1910 iron screen).

Back
Monitor page
for changes
    
   it's private   

by ChangeDetection

2000 The Dorset Page