Briantspuddle War Memorial by Eric GillJust along a narrow rural road from Affpuddle lies another of the Piddle villages, Briantspuddle, which takes its name from Brian de Turbeville who was Lord of the Manor in the time of Edward III.

In 1914 the wealthy London draper Sir Ernest Debenham bought land and farms in the area with the idea of creating a model estate. After the First World War farm buildings and cottages were built in the 'Arts and Crafts' style using locally made concrete blocks and bricks. Traditional cob walls were also built, many of the cottages were thatched. Piped water and electricity were laid on from the pump and power house in the centre of the village. There was a Central Milk Factory and dairy farm with stalls for 100 cows. Sir Ernest regarded the estate as an attempt to prove that Great Britain could feed itself, and its activities included forestry, bee-keeping, a chicken farm, pedigree stock raising and a veterinary service. Following his death in 1952 the estate was broken up and sold.

Today Briantspuddle is a village of neatly thatched cottages which convey the impression of peaceful idleness, what the city dweller would describe as 'real country'.

There is one other item of note in the village, a tall sculptured cross by Eric Gill, designed as a war memorial to commemorated the dead of the Great War.

Back
Monitor page
for changes
    
   it's private   

by ChangeDetection

2000 The Dorset Page