Burton Bradstock lies at the western end of the great Chesil Bank some 15 miles from it's start at Portland. The pebbles here are smaller as a result of their constant bombardment by the ocean currents.

Burton Bradstock Inn

The river Bride flows along one side of the main street but disappears into the ground before reaching the sea. The real Burton lies on the other side of the street behind the thatched cottages and the Dove Inn, in a labyrinth of small streets with many of the cottages built from the local stone in the 17th and 18th centuries. A few Georgian houses have fronts of the more expensive brick, with side and back walls of stone. In the centre of the village is a little grass triangle with a seat around a tree and a memorial from 1902. Next to the plain Wesleyan chapel from 1825 is an L-shaped cottage dating from 1635 which still retains some of its stone mullioned windows.

At the east end of the village is Grove Mill where an inscription records that it was the first flax-swingling mill in the west of England. Built in 1803 it used machinery to separate the flax fibers. Together with a spinning mill situated to the south of the church and which operated from 1794 to 1931, it provided alternative employment to the traditional occupations of fishing and agriculture.

The church of St. Mary is mostly late 14th and early 15th century. The central tower is handsome internally with four matching paneled arches. The chancel has seven late 15th century, initially French carved wooden panels. The arcade and south aisles were rebuilt in 1897 with E.S. Prior as architect.

Back
Monitor page
for changes
    
   it's private   

by ChangeDetection

2000 The Dorset Page