A main road separates the ancient part of the Stourside village of Corfe Mullen from its blanketing residential area on the hill above it. The church of St. Hubert stands at a crossroads keeping an eye on both sides of what must be one of Englandís largest villages.
On the hilltop are the school, supermarket and sports center servicing large and varied estates which stretch all the way to Broadstone, a dormitory for those working in Poole and Bournemouth.
Old Corfe Mullen, down by the sleepy Stour, shows all the signs that it is in the hands of people who care and maintains its character in spite of constant traffic speeding past the doors.
The old mill, mentioned in Domesday Book, churns its rebuilt wheel in what is now the center of a tea room. A glass case softening the clack of the noisy wheel and splash of the Stour. Next door, the Coventry Arms still maintains flag stones in one of its bars, but the lounge offers a cozy welcome, with warm lighting around the bar.
The church of St. Hubert had its first rector in 1162 and has a 14th century tower built of dark brown heathstone. The rest of the church is medieval, apart from the north chapel and south transept which are from 1841. The little 300 year old Manor House, across the road, hides its beauty behind trees. Obviously it is only part of the original building, a fact given away by the massive six chimneys.
Historian Hutchins tells us that it was the home of the Phelips family, who left money to Corfe Mullen partly for the better maintenance of the curate, and partly to provide bread and cheese every Sunday, and beef at Christmas, for ten poor children.