The chalk hills form a valley to allow the Devil's Brook to flow past under a little arched bridge, and the mixture of dwellings on the slopes form the village of Dewlish. A pleasant place where it would appear nothing ever seems to happen, yet prehistoric elephants once roamed on these slopes. We may never have known of it had it not been for a busy little mouse and a diligent geologist who, in the 19th century, found a mousehole in the chalk face filled with sand. Excavations were made and not only was a layer of sand discovered, but the remains of long forgotten animals. The bones of elephants thought to be 17 feet tall are now in Dorchester Museum. The Romans lived at Dewlish, but those great animals roamed here long before the Ice Age.

The Norman church of All Saints is approached through an avenue of yews so thick and matted at their tops, that they blot out the sun and form a dank, darkened nave reminiscent of the lonely depths of the Burmese jungle. Although the main doorway is Norman the rest of the church is a mixture of dates. The north aisle is 16th century with paneled arches and much of the wood-work is from the 17th century.

Behind the church are the earthworks of a medieval settlement and it's fields. Above the church is a stone and flint manor house from about 1632, with opposite a 19th century imitation of a 17th century building which is now the village hall. Also of note is a fine large brick farmhouse, located by the river and dating from around 1700.

Back
Monitor page
for changes
    
   it's private   

by ChangeDetection

2000 The Dorset Page