Situated between Shaftesbury and Sherborne is the large and mostly modern village of East Stour, which would probably be unrecognizable to the author and dramatist, Henry Fielding who lived here as a boy from 1710, and who returned again to the old Rectory in 1734 at the start of married life. The house has long gone to be replaced by Church farm. The only reminder of the authors connection with the village is that a street is named 'Fielding Close' after him.

Christ Church was totally rebuilt in the Norman style in 1842, solid and chunky with a square tower in the middle. Only the 12th century font, and a fine 18th century wood-carving of a pelican (re-used as a lectern) survive from the earlier church. Neo-Norman was extremely popular in the 1840's, as witnessed by the nearby church at Enmore Green, Shaftesbury in the same style and by the same architect. The church at Melplash in West Dorset built in 1845 is also in the same style.

Next door to the church is another of the villages earlier surviving buildings in the form of an austere, early 19th century farmhouse.

Back
Monitor page
for changes
    
   it's private   

by ChangeDetection

2000 The Dorset Page