|At about 700 feet above sea level, Evershot
is usually wrongly described as the highest village in Dorset, that
honor however goes to Ashmore on the Dorset-Wiltshire border. Evershot
is however the source of the river Frome, which rises from a spring at
St. John's Well before setting out on its 35 mile journey to Poole
We know that wild boar must once have roamed this place since the name is derived from the Anglo Saxon word Edfor, (wild boar), and the early English word holt, (thicket). Early settlers were encouraged to settle here by the presence of the spring, but the village did not become a parish in its own right until 1974.
Unusually the parish church is dedicated to St. Basil, a saint well known to Eastern orthodox Christianity but almost unheard of in England. The north arcade and tower are from the 15th century. The rest was built in imitation in the 1850's and 60's to such good effect that it is difficult to tell the old and new apart. One of Jane Austen's favorite poets - George Crabbe (1754-1832) was rector here from 1783-7.
Although it is only a small village of about 200 people it has an oddly urban, if decidedly dickensian, look. This was the result of a 19th century facelift which produced raised pavements and bow shop-fronts built onto much older house faces of yellow and grey limestone. Altogether a deceptive place which even has its own shops, bakery, street lighting, pavements, school, doctor's surgery and public house.
During the 19th century at a time when the railways were actually giving away stations Evershot was provided with a halt. Unfortunately it was over two miles away at Holywell.