Magdalene, like neighbors Fifehead Neville and Fifehead St. Quinton
is named after its Domesday assessment of five hides, (a hide was the
amount of land that could be tilled by one plough in a year). The second
part of its name coming from the patron saint of its parish church.
14th century church of St. Mary Magdalen is situated on the limestone
ridge which overlooks the river Stour. The north chapel was built in
1730 to house a monument to the Newman family, one of whom, Richard, was
a leading member of the Dorset Clubmen.