The Romans lived here but a Saxon thane gives us part of the name. A hide was originally the amount of land which would support life for a free peasant family and, although its size varied, in Wessex it was 48 acres. So Fithyde was a village of 240 acres, in the time of the Domesday Book, but today it is nearer 1500 acres in size.
William de Nevill, who came over from Neuville in Normandy, gave the village the second part of the name.
Foundations of a Roman house were excavated there and tools and jewelry discovered can be seen in Dorchester Museum.
Amongst those who chose to live in this quiet village was the mother of the Rev. William Barnes.
One of the few surviving pack horse bridges in the country crosses the little river Divelish. A supreme example of medieval craft, but it is a very long time since the last laden pack horse crossed this narrow bridge.
Parts of the church have roots in the 15th century but the nave is 18th century, with a paneled pulpit also of that era. An old twisted yew tree forms an umbrella over the lych gate and in the churchyard is one of the largest table tombs. It is about 20 feet by 15 feet and nearly 6 feet tall.