The church of St. George stands at the top of a small hill overlooking the river Frome on one side and Fordington green on the other. the tower is fifthteenth century and is enbattled with pinnacles.

This church has a great treasure, a Roman stone, a block of Purbeck marble, engraved and the earliest inscription known in the county. A tribute to a Roman husband and father exiled in Britain from his family and reads

'To Gaius Aristobulus, a Roman Citizen, aged 50. Rufinus and Marina and Avita his children. Erected by Romana his wife.'

In the valley of the river Frome below below the church are the graves of German soldiers who were held prisoner here during the Great War.

The most famous vicar of Fordington was Henry Moule, champion of the earth-closet. He was born in Melksham, Wiltshire, on 27 January 1801, and in 1829 became vicar of Fordington. For some years he was chaplain to the troops in Dorchester Barracks, and from the royalties of his 1845 book ``Barrack Sermons'' he built a church at West Fordington. In 1861 he produced a 20-page pamphlet entitled National health and wealth, instead of the disease, nuisance, expense, and waste, caused by cess-pools and water-drainage. ``The cess-pool and privy vault are simply an unnatural abomination,'' he thundered, "the water-closet ... has only increased those evils." And he went on to describe his own amazing discovery.

In the summer of 1859 he decided his cess-pool was intolerable, and a nuisance to his neighbour; so he filled it in. At first he buried the sewage in trenches in the yard, one foot deep, but he discovered by accident that in three or four weeks "not a trace of this matter could be discovered." So he put up a shed, sifted the dry earth beneath it, and mixed the contents of the bucket with this dry earth every morning. "The whole operation does not take a boy more than a quarter of an hour. And within ten minutes after its completion neither the eye nor nose can perceive anything offensive."

Moule took out a patent in 1860 (No 1316)---and others in 1869 and 1873, and set up the Moule Patent Earth-Closet Company (Limited), which manufactured and sold an earth-closet for every occasion. "They are made to act either by a handle ... or self-acting, on rising from the seat. The Earth Reservoir is calculated to hold enough for about 25 times, and where earth is scarce, or the manure required of extraordinary strength, the product may be dried as many as seven times and without losing any of its deodorising properties."

Henry Moule died in 1880, but even in his seventies he was still trying to persuade the British government that the earth-closet was the system of the future, and he nearly succeeded.

Back
Monitor page
for changes
    
   it's private   

by ChangeDetection

2000 The Dorset Page