A road flanked by willows and 'liable to flooding' crosses the river Stour before entering this glowing garden hamlet of  Hamooon.

The church, begun in the mid-13th century, has had its antiquity disguised by some fairly bizarre additions, like the little belfry installed in 1885 which would look more at home on a stable up nearer Wincanton, and a 15th century reredos discovered in the yard of a dealer outside London in 1946 and secured for the church by a benefactor. It is made from Ham Hill limestone and depicts the Crucifixion and three Apostles.

A few yards away stands Hammoon Manor, which has now become a farmhouse, It was built around 1500 with thatched roof and has Tuscan columns and mullioned Tudor windows. A Purbeck limestone porch of classical proportions was added a century later and the handsome sycamore, which stands in front of this desirable residence, adds the finishing touch.

The Saxons called it Hamm (home), but a Norman who followed the Conqueror to England was presented with the village which became the home of William of Moyon. Ironic that this Norman came from Moyon in the Contemn Peninsula to invade us, an invasion which we repaid 900 years later when our D-Day troops landed on French soil with William of Moyon's birthplace on their right flank.
Back
Monitor page
for changes
    
   it's private   

by ChangeDetection

2000 The Dorset Page