Heath, known by most as a small halt on the Railway line between
Poole and Wareham is located on the northern shores of Poole Harbour.
Royal Naval Cordite Factory, (RNCF), was built here during the 1914-18
war, on the instructions of Winston Churchill, then the First Lord of
the Admiralty. The factory was the first of its type to be built for the
supply of cordite exclusively to the Royal Navy and produced cordite
until its closure in 1959. The factory site now encompases an industrial
estate, a large nature reserve, and (until the end of 1997) a division
of the Defense Research Agency. During World War Two, decoy sites were
built. One on the aptly named "Decoy Heath" near Wareham, the
second near the village of Arne.