The Village Inn at Iwerne Minster, DorsetThe River Iwerne, which flows south into the Stour, gives name to Iwerne Minster as well as to Iwerne Courtney (sometimes spelt Courteney), or Shroton, and Stepleton (sometimes spelt Steepleton) Iwerne. Iwerne is an ancient British (Celtic) river-name, first recorded as Iwern broc in the mid-10th century but much older than that, probably meaning 'yew-tree stream'. Iwerne Minster is recorded as Evneminstre in the Domesday Book of 1086, but its first appearance is in a Saxon charter dated 871 where it is simply ywern or hywerna. The affix is Old English mynster '(church of) a monastery' with reference to the early possession of this estate by Shaftesbury Abbey (from the middle of the 10th century).

The church is one of the few in Dorset possessing a stone steeple, but it must have looked much more imposing before restorers, at the beginning of the 19th century, reduced the spire to half its original height.

Back
Monitor page
for changes
    
   it's private   

by ChangeDetection

2000 The Dorset Page