St George's Church Langton Matravers, DorsetTwo miles inland from Swanage, the straggling village of Langton Matravers lines a road which leads to Purbeck coastal hills. It is the largest of the villages associated with quarrying. Quarrying and cutting of the local limestone has been important since Roman times. Quarry mines were sunk to deal with the enormous demand for the local stone during the late Seventeenth Century, especially after the Great Fire of London in 1666. These were closed down by Order in Council in 1963

Terraced Houses at Langton Matravers, DorsetThe Parish Church of St. George is at least the third, and possibly the fourth building on the site. Remains of a chapel built c.1290 can be seen on the west wall of the present church. The tower was added about 1390. The little mediaeval church was taken down and rebuilt in 1829, with the exception of the tower. This larger church became unsafe because of smuggling activities in the roof, and was demolished and rebuilt in 1876. There is a trinity of bells in the old tower, the tenor being the original of c.1420.

There are two large houses: Leeson House, which is now a residential Field Studies Centre owned by Dorset County Council, built in 1805; and Durnford House, rebuilt in ashlar (sawn stone) in 1725 and rebuilt using the original stones (including the date-stone!) in 1952.

The village was famous for its six boarding schools during the period between the two World Wars. Now there is one boarding School, The Old Malthouse Preparatory School, but Leeson House Field Studies Centre is in effect another. There are three other schools in the village, the Pre-prep at The Old Malthouse School, St. George's Church of England First School and the Pre-school.

Back
Monitor page
for changes
    
   it's private   

by ChangeDetection

2000 The Dorset Page