There are a few places in Dorset which, because of their beauty and tranquility, are a sanctuary in any season. Such a village is Little Bredy, a place as beautiful as its name would imply. Littlebredy is a rare example of a Regency/Victorian Model Village, built and preserved virtually intact since the purchase of the Bridehead Estate by Robert Williams in 1797. The visitor will notice a considerable uniformity of construction and detail in many of the buildings as well as the absence of piecemeal development in the open spaces.

A few motorists who leave the Dorchester - Bridport road still usually miss it, but down a little path to the churchyard, where the church is almost hidden under beech trees, you are serenaded by the waters of the Bride. This is the source of the little Dorset river which rises in the grounds of Bridehead, the big house of 1830 vintage, and lazily winds down the valley, slowed by weed, never - it would seem - to find the sea, because it disappears into the ground at Burton Bradstock.

The 14th century church of St. Michael and All Angels was largely rebuilt in 1850 with Benjamin Ferry as the architect. The best materials were used, including Caen stone. Ferry added a miniature spire to the tower, achieving a very attractive end result.

To add to its peace, and the pleasantness of cottages hanging with white and purple aubrietia is an unusual six-sided shelter with seats. On a canopy are the words from Isaiah, 'A pavilion for a shadow in the daytime from the heat and for a refuge and cover from storm and rain'. It was a silver wedding present to the villagers from Margaret and Philip Williams in 1933.

Back
Monitor page
for changes
    
   it's private   

by ChangeDetection

2000 The Dorset Page