Lytchett Minster is small and rural with many estate cottages. The village, now bypassed, has an inn called the St. Peters Finger. At one time it was known as St. Peter ad Vincula (St. Peter in chains). Tenants and cottagers paid their dues to the Lord of the Manor at this inn on June 29, a commemoration day of St. Peter. The church (whose dedication is lost) has a brown heathstone 15th century tower. The rest was rebuilt in 1833 in pale brick. Originally it had simple windows, now mostly elaborated. Inside it has s a very short chancel and a gallery from 1833

The children of Lytchett Minster and surrounding villages must be the luckiest in the country. Their comprehensive school is neither a Victorian high-windowed schoolhouse, or a modern box-like building. In fact they come each day through the woods of a lovely park to the former South Lytchett Manor House, the former elegant Ham stone Georgian residence of Sir John Lees and Madeleine, The Lady Lees.

Children clatter up and down the Victorian staircase and step out on to a lawn, which has rounded balusters forming a terrace beyond which are extensive playing fields. White football and rugby posts stand out against the greenery of the park. A setting as lovely as any famous public school.

Three generations of the Lees family have been Lords of the Manor at Lytchett Minster, and lived in the big house until the death of Sir John Lees in 1955. The house and park were sold to Dorset soon after for. 10,000. Madeleine, The Lady Lees, was much loved in the village and started to produce locally made religious films which became famous. At one time, she made headlines with a roadside cafe at the gates of the big house and brought out the family silver with which to serve teas.

The Potola, the monastic palace of the former Dalai Lamas in Lhasa, Tibet, is featured on a gravestone in the churchyard. It is to Lieutenant-Colonel Sir Francis Edward Younghusband [1863-1942] who was born at Murree in the Punjab. He explored the fringes of Tibet in 1886-87 and finally penetrated its secret palaces with the Tibet Mission in 1903-04. Harassed by Tibetan troops this force of some 1,150 Sikh, Gurkha and British soldiers reached the forbidden city of Lhasa on 3 August 1904. Where, although the Dalai Lama was absent he was able to bring about an Anglo-Tibetan treaty.

Back
Monitor page
for changes
    
   it's private   

by ChangeDetection

2000 The Dorset Page