Mappowder consisting of a few stone cottages and a pretty church lies on the edge of the Blackmore Vale. The name Mappowder is derived from the Old English word mapuldor meaning a maple tree and in 1086 was recorded in the Domesday Book as Mapledre

The church of St. Peter and St. Paul is virtually all of the late 15th century when it was restored. The handsome tower however is later, having been rebuilt in 1868 to match the rest of the church. In the nave there is a 15th century 'green man', the head of a man with leaves coming out of his nose.

In the recess in the south wall is an effigy made in Caen Stone of a knight in thirteenth century chain mail and surcoat with sword and shield. The effigy is only eighteen inches long and has led to the legend of a boy crusader being buried here. In truth it is the heart burial of a knight who had died on the crusades, his heart embalmed and sent to his home in Dorset.

It was to the little stone lodge-like building beside the churchyard that  author Theodore Francis Powys (1875-1953) came in the summer of 1940 to make his home.  Theodore spent many hours at the church in contemplation but was always the absent parishoner on Sunday. He is buried in Mappowder churchyard.

Back
Monitor page
for changes
    
   it's private   

by ChangeDetection

2000 The Dorset Page