Saxon Font, Melbury BubbMelbury Bubb, near Chetnole is a tiny village tucked up under a well wooded hill. The Bubb part of the name comes from a family who once owned land here but the origins of Melbury is more obscure.

The church of St. Mary has a good 15th century tower with decorative shafts springing from half angels, and an elaborate wide frieze. The rest of the church rebuilt in 1851, is still lit by oil-lamps, and heated by a coke stove. There is some attractive late 15th century glass in the upper parts of the windows.

Next door to the church is a stone manor house which is mostly Jacobean.

Back
Monitor page
for changes
    
   it's private   

by ChangeDetection

2000 The Dorset Page