A view acroos the valley at North Poorton

The parish of Poorton is divided into two hamlets, North and South, which like many of the communities in West Dorset are small, rural and remote.  They mainly consist of a handful of stone cottages with thatched roofs.

North Poorton has a large 17th century stone farmhouse and the parish church of St. Mary Magdalene which was totally rebuilt between 1861 and 1862 by the Dorchester architect John Hicks for who Thomas Hardy was then working.

Hicks used stone from the original church in the lower parts of the walls, imitation medieval tiles and other fittings characteristic of the times, including a complex ornate pulpit.

Back
Monitor page
for changes
    
   it's private   

by ChangeDetection

2000 The Dorset Page