The tower of St. Peter's dates from the mid 15th century and the 12th century chancel arch and 12th century south doorway are reset within the church. The remainder was wholly rebuilt in 1870 to the designs of J.B. Green and paid for by Viscount Portman of Bryanston. There is a very unusual brass of 1594 to Dorothy Williams, unusual because it is signed by its maker Edmund Colepeper. It depects a skeleton lying on a half-rolled up mat and a small kneeling figure.

Back
Monitor page
for changes
    
   it's private   

by ChangeDetection

2000 The Dorset Page