Rampisham is set in a narrow, secluded chalk valley alongside a deeply bedded stream, where beeches hide a large and somewhat straggling village. A thatched post office nestles next to a shallow ford and the now defunct public house, the Tiger's Head, overlooks the point where four roads not so much run together as fall in a heap. The whole scene overlooked by the church and manor house on the hill above.

The church of St. Michael and All Saints stands on a wooded knoll above the village decorated with many alarming gargoyles. In the churchyard is a cross dated 1516. It has a base which is better read when wet, since then they eye can better pick out the details of the carving. The stoning of St. Stephen, the martyrdoms of Thomas a Becket, St. Edmund and St. Peter, a pillar with a cock perched on top, fools, monks, and two men in armour.

The church itself has a late 15th century tower and a chancel built by Pugin in 1845. Pugin also designed the village school, (now a private house), and the rectory. The nave was rebuilt in 1860 by John Hicks. Inside, by the pulpit are two small brasses from 1523.

Back
Monitor page
for changes
    
   it's private   

by ChangeDetection

2000 The Dorset Page