The Ancient and Royal Manor of South Perrott, it had belonged to the Confessor, is not to be confused with North Perrott just over the border in Somerset. In a description of the manor in the Domesday book we read that a certain custom is due to it from the manor of 'Cruche' (Crewkerne), namely that every freeman must render one bloom of iron. Evidence of its medieval past is to be found behind the church were you can see a dry moat which now surrounds absolutely nothing.

Today, this still attractive village, despite the main road that runs through it, and consists of streams, small bridges and lots of 17th and 18th century stone cottages. From the outside the church of St. Mary is an oddly complex mass, short and heavy, but inside it all fits simply together. The central tower has four identical arches from the early 13th century, with the north transept and nave a little later. The chancel and south transept were rebuilt between 1907 and 1913.

About three quarters of a mile south of the village is Pickett Farm, large parts of which date from the 15th century. The arched and traceried 15th century windows are visible from the road

Back
Monitor page
for changes
    
   it's private   

by ChangeDetection

2000 The Dorset Page