|Stockwood is a tiny hamlet at the
foot of the chalk downs in a superbly woody area with many hedgerow oaks
between Chetnole and Melbury Osmond.
has the smallest church in Dorset and the second smallest in England,
just 29ft 3in by 12ft 9in and dedicated to the Saxon saint Edwold, the
hermit brother of the East Anglian King, who died in 971 and was buried
at nearby Cerne Abbas. The present building mainly dates from the 15th
century with the elaborate porch and odd little bell cote added in 1636.