It is inappropriate that the sweet-sounding name of Toller Porcorum on the banks of the River Hooke only tells us that it is the 'valley of the pigs'. Toller meaning a stream in a valley. Formerly it was named Swynestolre or Hogstolre, the toller of the pigs.

Once kings hunted wild boar here, but now deer, foxes, badgers and hares swarm over the land which has evidence of being lived on since prehistoric times.

The church is old, but not as old as its font; that is part of a Roman altar - shaped before this country was England. West of the village is Eggardon Hill, supporting an Iron Age fort, and the Romans are believed to have been here in 43 AD. The church is dedicated to St. Andrew and St. Peter and not only are there records dating back to 1235, but it was served by priests hundreds of years before. The village school was founded in 1772.

Toller Porcorum is one of those Dorset villages fighting to stop population growth and new estates. In 1983 planners wanted to build 15 terraced cottages. Permission was refused but the fight was eventually lost.

The school which finally closed its doors in 1980 bears the name of Julia Harrison on its registers. The daughter of Rev. John Harrison, a former vicar, Julia shook off her village girl image and grew up to become Fiona Richmond, controversial author and actress.

Back
Monitor page
for changes
    
   it's private   

by ChangeDetection

2000 The Dorset Page