West Stafford is a small village in the Frome valley just to the east of Dorchester with many thatched cottages. Even the bus shelter has a thatched roof, as does a huge 18th century barn with brick and timber walls now converted for commercial use. There is also a rather stiff stone school house built in 1848.

The church of St. Michael, where Tess and Angel Clare were apparently married in Thomas Hardy's 'Tess of the d'Urbervilles', has a small 16th century tower. The nave seems to have every possible style of window, all dating from the 16th to 17th century. Despite the later addition of a chancel, the church is dominated by its 1640 fittings, including the barrel vaulted ceiling and a nice wooden screen.

Lower Lewell Farm, outside the village, is the most probable site for Hardy's Talbothays Dairy.

Back
Monitor page
for changes
    
   it's private   

by ChangeDetection

2000 The Dorset Page