Winterborne Tomson (named for a 13th century squire), can easily be missed because the way into this tiny hamlet is little more than a farm gate but it is perhaps the most interesting of the East Dorset Winterbornes.

At the church a notice states that

 'St. Andrews was restored by the Redundant Churches Fund
 of St. Andrew by the Wardrobe, London.'

The tiny church with a curvaceous apsidal east end and a squat wooden tower, dates from the 12th century and is the only one in Dorset to retain a Norman apse. It also retains its Norman ground plan, implying that the hamlet was never bigger than it is today. By the 1920s the church had fallen into a sorry state, being used a pigsty and chicken house.

In 1931, A R Powys, the brother of the novelist John Cowper Powys, recognised its worth and began a restoration. The work soon ran into financial problems, but was rescued when some of Thomas Hardy's letters to the Society of Protection of Ancient Buildings were sold.

Back
Monitor page
for changes
    
   it's private   

by ChangeDetection

2000 The Dorset Page