This surely must be Dorset's prettiest and most peaceful village. Winterborne Zelston lies off the main Wimborne to Dorchester road, it descends to the valley, past thatched cottages dressed in pastel pink, with pale blue windows.

Ducks were standing around the shrunken village pond disgusted because although it was November, the pond was almost dry and the Winterborne itself had just enough water to soak the rotting russet leaves on its shallow bed. Over a little bridge the path to the church takes you beside more thatched cottages with walls in virgin white.

The church has no ornate memorials to sons long dead, but a solitary wooden plaque dated 1957 tells that the lighting was given in memory of the Barrett family, and of the unknown benefactor who gave a field long ago for the maintenance of this church.

A notice board bore an amusing colored cartoon of bell ringers and press cuttings telling how the Royal Corps of Signals gave the organ to St. Mary's and kept it in repair.

A medieval stone cross stands on the river bank, re-erected to commemorate the Silver Jubilee of Queen Elizabeth II in 1977.

Back
Monitor page
for changes
    
   it's private   

by ChangeDetection

2000 The Dorset Page