Wootton or Wootton Glanville in the Blackmore Vale has lots
of trees, but most of the houses are recent or 19th century. The church
of St. Mary has a short 14th century tower, but the nave and chancel
date mainly from the 1876 restoration. The earliest, and best, part of
the church is the south chapel, endowed as a chantry chapel in 1344.
William Dale [1791-1872] who lived in the village was on of the most
eminent Victorian entomologists. He had the distinction of adding a new
butterfly to the British list. He was the first to record Thymelicus
acteon, (the Lulworth Skipper), after capturing his first specimen
at Durdle Door in 1832. He was also a parochial naturalist of the finest
order and painstakingly collected records of all forms of wildlife in
the parish. His History of Glanville's Wootton  is not all
that it seems, for the most part it is a list of the thousands of
insects that he had collected.