Coutryside around Worth Matravers, DorsetIn 1774, the year of Trafalgar, Benjamin Jesty, a local farmer became the first known person to use cowpox by inoculation to prevent smallpox. This was some five years before Jenner, who published his paper in 1801, started his experiments. Benjamin and his wife lie in the graveyard of the church at Worth Matravers on a Purbeck hillside overlooking the English Channel.

The church is one of the oldest in Dorset. There is a Saxon door blocked up in the 12th century church walls and the Norman tower stands proud in spite of a modern church roof.

In 1940 The Air Ministry's radar research establishment moved into purpose built accommodation on the cliff tops which were dominated by there large radio masts. Today, Worth Matravers still has scientific links, and those same cliff tops play host to the 4 metre dome of the Worth Hill Observatory.

Back
Monitor page
for changes
    
   it's private   

by ChangeDetection

2000 The Dorset Page