Wraxall is divided into two tiny hamlets. Higher Wraxall has a fine large stone manor house, built around 1630 and extended in the 19th century, with a few cottages and a farm.

Lower Wraxall has the small church of St. Mary, just a nave and chancel. The chancel arch and doorway are all that remains from the 12th century original with remainder much restored, including a 19th century east window and bell cote. There are several good monuments in the chancel, particularly those to the Lawrence's, (Lords of the Manor), from the late 17th century.

William Lawrence was a lawyer of some note during the English Civil War and in later life wrote a treatise on marriage entitled "A Vindication of Marriage by the Moral Law of God"

Entrance to the church is gained through an intricately wrought iron gate to the churchyard which is surrounded by farm buildings. The houses of this little hamlet are built of flint, brick and stone, frequently all three together as this group of cottages situated at the bottom of the hill, just below the church shows..

Back
Monitor page
for changes
    
   it's private   

by ChangeDetection

2000 The Dorset Page